Bringing birds to the UK

In order to bring your feathered friend into the UK you will need to follow the following procedures.

  • You will need a Pet Bird Import Licence. This is applied for through the website.
  • You will also need an EC veterinary health certificate. This should be completed and endorsed by the relative authorities in the originating country (Annex II & owner’s declaration included) please see further down the page to see examples of the endorsement stamps.
  • If the bird is covered by CITES, you will need CITES import & export permits. Apply through Animal Health Bristol for the UK import permit . The CITES export permit will need to be applied for from the authorities in the originating country. For more information on CITES please visit the website.
  • In order for us to clear the pet through customs we will need to complete the ‘Importers Instruction to JCS Livestock’ & ‘Owners Declaration to HM Revenue & Customs’ forms. These are available to dowload below, along with a map to the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow; where pet(s) can be collected from on the day of arrival.
  • We need all copies of all of the above two working days prior to the import. Please let us know the flight details as soon as possible.
  • We will need original copies of all of the documents (including all 3 pages of each CITES permit) in order to clear the bird(s) through customs.  Customs clearance for birds can take up to 4 - 5 hours after the flight lands.  You must collect your pet(s) within around 5 hours of their arrival at the Animal Reception Centre to avoid boarding charges.
  • Clearance charges are not prepaid at the airport of origin but paid on collection from Heathrow. Please contact us on for further details on charges.

Our staff are happy to help if you have any questions regarding the above. Pet shipping can be a stressful process, so let us help to make it as stress-free as possible!

What is CITES?

CITES is the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, an international agreement between governments that came into force in 1975. The import, export and use for commercial gain of certain species requires a CITES permit.

Animal and Plant Health Agency’s Centre for International Trade - Bristol is the part of the UK CITES management authority responsible for dealing with CITES applications.

Pet Travel Quote

Filling in the form

We'll need a few bits of information in order to work out the pet transport costs for you. Once complete, press submit and one of our staff will contact you to discuss pet shipping with you as soon as we can!

  • * Denotes a required field.
  • The cost for shipping your pet will vary with the size of your pet and the destination.
  • Please supply name(s), breed(s) and dimensions (if you have them). If you have a flight carrier for your pet, please also supply the carrier's dimensions.
  • Please give as much information as possible and contact us if you need guidance on measuring your pet.
  • Please note - whilst we are unable to directly book flights into the UK for you, we are able to assist you by arranging the move for you through our worldwide network of trusted overseas associates.
  • We can also help with advice on the Pet Travel Scheme and provide you with quotes for delivery. Please don't hesitate to ask! Submit this form or feel free to call us.
About you
About your pet(s)
About your move
AEO Logo
ATA Logo

Get In Touch

For general enquiries please fill out the contact us form, including your name, email address and phone number (including country code) and we will be in touch straight away.